Bank of Hawaii
Protecting the privacy of your information online.
Thank you for visiting Bank of Hawaii Corporation’s website, boh.com. We understand the importance of privacy and want you to know what information we collect and how we use it.
The Information We Collect
For inquires sent to us by email and/or responses we send to you via email, we preserve your email address, our response and the original content of your email for a period of time so we can efficiently handle any follow-up questions you may have. We also do this for legal, regulatory and account servicing requirements. Regular Internet email is not a secure form of communication. Any information sent via email should be of a non-sensitive and non-confidential nature. Submitting information via one of our online contact forms is secure as we employ encryption.
Our web servers automatically collect limited information about your computer configuration and browsing activity when you visit our site. This information includes the browser software that you use, the operating system of your computer, the resolution of your computer monitor, the speed of your Internet connection, the website that referred you to our site and/or the search terms you entered into a search engine to reach our site, etc. We use this information to make our website as useful as we can for as many users as possible.
Your visit to our website also may result in our receipt of personal information and other information about you and your computer, mobile phone, or other device that you have made available to those services, including your geographic location, and/or information about your contacts on those services. Our servers may also automatically collect information about you, your online behavior and your computer, mobile phone, or other device. The types of information that our servers may collect can include, but are not limited to, the make, model, settings, specifications, and geographic location of you and/or your computer, mobile or other device, as well as date/time stamp, IP address, pages visited, time of visits, content viewed, ads viewed, the site(s), application(s), destination(s), and/or service(s) you arrived from, and other clickstream data.
How We Use Personal Information Collected About You
Our primary goal in collecting personal information from you when you visit our website is to provide you the functionality and services that you need to have a meaningful and customized experience while using the site features.
Personal information collected on our site may specifically be used to:
- Fulfill a site user request (e.g., send marketing or promotional materials, including emails);
- Provide a requested service or product;
- Respond to your comments or requests for information to us;
- Meet a request for, or develop new products or services;
- Make the user experience more customer-friendly;
- Develop new and improved products, services, and marketing;
- Contact you as necessary for regular business purposes;
- Generate site analytics that improve our site layout, content, product offerings and services;
- Compile user data that is stored in our corporate database and may be used for marketing and other purposes;
- Match personal data collected here with data about you that we collect through other sources; and/or
- Comply with legal requirements.
Online Tracking and Online Advertising
In order to enjoy the full experience and access all features of our website, we encourage you to enable cookies in your browser. Some browsers allow you to reject cookies; however, if you set your browser to reject cookies, you may find that you are unable to conduct your online transactions with us. If you choose to NOT accept cookies while accessing web pages on the Internet, we suggest that you enable acceptance of cookies when you are logged onto your online session with Bank of Hawaii Corporation. For instructions on enabling and disabling cookies, refer to your web browser’s security settings.
Bank of Hawaii Corporation uses the services of Google Analytics® and Adobe® Analytics to track and report on advertising and marketing on this site and from third party websites.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
Some internet browsers have "Do Not Track" features, which can send a signal or preference (the "DNT signal") to the websites you visit indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. Because there is not yet a common understanding of how to interpret DNT signals, nor a common definition of "tracking", we do not currently respond to DNT signals on boh.com.
Use of Personal information for Marketing Purposes
When you supply us with your postal or email address or telephone number online, via our website or third party sites such as Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites, you may receive periodic mailings, emails or telephone contact from us with information on new products, services or upcoming events. If you do not wish to receive such mailings or contact, please call the appropriate phone number from the “Contact Information” section at the end of this policy, and we will be happy to process your request.
You may also request to unsubscribe from future marketing emails by clicking the “unsubscribe” link that is included in every marketing email.
Even if you make this choice, we may still send you emails to deliver your statements (which may include marketing materials) or give you account-related notices or other information.
Sharing Your Information
We do not sell your personal information, and we do not share it with nonaffiliates for marketing purposes. We may share information about you and your account with affiliates or third party joint marketing partners. Please see our consumer privacy notice, titled “What Does Bank of Hawaii Corporation Do with Your Personal Information?”, for additional details.
Correcting or Changing Your Personal information
We are unable to offer a means for you to personally make changes to any personal information that we collect about you through this website, except through your online account. If you are a current e-Bankoh online banking customer, you can update your contact information through our website. If you are not an online banking customer, please visit a convenient branch or call the appropriate phone number from the “Contact Information” section at the end of this policy, and we will be happy to process your request.
The ability to correct or update your personal information applies only to information stored in the database that holds the data for Bank of Hawaii Corporation. Any personal information that has been collected from you on other affiliate websites will not be accessible or changeable through the processing of this request.
Security of Your Information
The security of your personal information is of utmost importance to us. Bank of Hawaii Corporation uses reasonable physical, electronic and procedural security measures that comply with state and federal standards to protect your information from unauthorized access or use.
Health Check App
Bank of Hawaii developed the Health Check app for its employees and is sharing it with the community. This app provides a questionnaire containing questions from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Standardized Employee Screen Questionnaire provided on Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii website.
Answers that users provide to the Health Check questions are not sent to, nor stored by, Bank of Hawaii. To monitor and improve our services, we utilize Microsoft Azure Application Insights and may collect the following information when you download and use the Health Check app:
- Device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information)
- Device event information (such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL)
- Limited personal information (such as IP address, browser user agent, and location)
- Session information (such as timing and duration of usage).
The information you provide from surveys and promotions will be used for internal marketing and for developing information that you may find useful. Additionally, we may inform you if a particular account or service would benefit you based on the information submitted.
We may occasionally run contests on our site and ask visitors for contact information (such as email address or telephone number). Participation in these contests is not mandatory. However, if you choose to participate, we may send you information about the contest and our company. If you have participated in a past contest but no longer wish to remain on our contact list, please call the appropriate phone number from the “Contact Information” section at the end of this policy, and we will be happy to process your request.
Children’s Privacy (COPPA)
We do not use the website to knowingly solicit personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13) without parental consent. We request that such individuals not provide personal information through our site. For additional information regarding the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), please visit the Federal Trade Commission website.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”)
Your Rights Under The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018
Effective January 1, 2020, California residents have certain rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (Cal. Civ. Code §1798.100 et seq.). A description of these rights is listed below and the CCPA disclosures that follow supplement the preceding sections. These rights only apply to you if you are a resident of the State of California.
- Request to Know: You have the right to request that we disclose to you any or all of the following:
- The categories of personal information that we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which we have collected personal information about you;
- The specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about you;
- The categories of your personal information that we sold, if any;
- The categories of your personal information that we disclosed about you for a business or commercial purpose in the last twelve (12) months;
- The categories of companies to whom we have disclosed personal information for a business purpose, if any;
- Our business or commercial purpose(s) for collecting or selling your personal information.
- Request to Delete: You have the right to request that we delete any personal information about you, and that we instruct any vendors, service providers, or third parties of ours to do so, except if it is necessary for us or one of our vendors, service providers, or third parties to maintain your information in order to do any of the following:
- Complete the transaction for which the information was collected (including performing contracts between us), or provide a good or service requested by you or reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity;
- Debug our data to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality of boh.com;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his or her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act pursuant to Chapter 3.6 (commencing with Section 1546) of Title 12 of Part 2 of the Penal Code;
- Engage in ethical research in the public interest, the achievement of which would likely be rendered impossible or seriously impaired, provided you give informed consent;
- To enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with our ongoing business relationship with you or otherwise compatible with the context in which you provided the information; and/or
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- You have the right to request that we deliver to you, free of charge to you, the personal information collected about or from you as set forth in paragraph (1), above (Request to Know). The information may be delivered by mail or electronically, and if provided electronically, the information will be in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, in a readily-useable format.
- Under the CCPA, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of personal information that we collect about you. However, we do not sell your personal information, and we do not share it with nonaffiliates for marketing purposes.
- You have the right not to be discriminated against by us if you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, including those described in this notice. Specifically, if you exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, we will not (i) deny goods or services to you; (ii) charge you different prices or rates for goods or services (including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties); (iii) provide you with a different level or quality of goods or services; or (iv) suggest that you will receive different prices or rates for goods or services, or a different level or quality of goods or services. As permitted by California Civil Code section 1798.125(b)(1), we may offer you financial incentives, including payments to you as compensation, for the collection of personal information or the sale of personal information.
Disclosures Under The California Consumer Privacy Act Of 2018
For purposes of the CCPA, Personal Information does not include:
- Publicly available information;
- De-identified or aggregated information; and
- Information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or the California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA).
Personal Information We Have Collected:
In the last twelve (12) months, we have collected the following categories of personal information about California consumers:
- Identifiers such as name, alias, address, unique identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account number, Social Security Number, or government identification number;
- Personal information such as name, signature, Social Security Number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, or medical information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories;
- Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law such as age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or veteran or military status;
- Commercial information such as records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies;
- Biometric information such as genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, or gait;
- Geolocation data;
- Sensory data such as audio, electronic, or visual information;
- Professional or employment-related information;
- Non-public education information (per the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) such as education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records; and
- Inferences, including any derivation or assumptions made from any of the information identified in the above categories to create a profile about a consumer reflecting the consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
In the last twelve (12) months, we have collected personal information about California consumers from the following categories of sources:
- From consumers when they initiate a transaction for a product or service from us, communicate with us, interact with our website, visit our physical locations or make payments to us;
- From companies that share marketing relationships, common ownership, management or control with us, such as Hawaiian Airlines;
- From service providers, such as vendors that improve our services and detect fraud; and
- From credit bureaus, such as Experian.
Personal Information We Have Collected and Disclosed for a Business or Commercial Purpose:
In the last twelve (12) months, we have disclosed personal information about California consumers to the following categories of companies for a business or commercial purpose:
- Companies that share a marketing relationship, common ownership, management or control with us;
- Credit bureaus; and
- Companies with whom we do business in order to provide products or services to consumers.
In the last twelve (12) months, we have collected personal information for each of the following business or commercial purposes. Using the categories of collected personal information identified in the preceding Section 1 (A – J), we identify the business or commercial purpose for sharing each category as follows:
- Auditing related to a current interaction with the consumer and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards (Identifiers, Personal Information, Commercial Information, Geolocation Data, Inferences);
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity (Identifiers, Personal Information, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data, Sensory Data);
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality (Identifiers, Personal Information, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data);
- Short-term, transient use, provided the personal information that is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about a consumer or otherwise alter an individual consumer’s experience outside the current interaction, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction (Personal Information, Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Geolocation Data);
- Performing services on our behalf, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytic services, or providing similar services on our behalf (Identifiers, Personal Information, Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Geolocation Data, Inferences);
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration(Identifiers, Personal Information, Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data, Sensory Data, Professional Information, Non-public Education Information, Inferences)
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owed, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by, us, and to improve, upgrade or enhance the service or devise that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us (Identifiers, Personal Information, \\\\Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data, Sensory Data);
- Inducing another person to buy, rent, lease, join, subscribe to, provide, or exchange products, goods, property, information or services (Identifiers, Personal Information, Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data, Sensory Data, Inferences); and
- Enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction (Identifiers, Personal Information, Protected Classification Characteristics, Commercial Information, Biometric Information, Geolocation Data, Sensory Data, Professional Information, Non-Public Education Information, Inferences)
Personal Information We Have Sold:
We do not sell your personal information. We do not sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
Access To And Control Over The Use Of Your Personal Information
Submitting a Request to Know or Request to Delete
You may submit Requests to Know or Requests to Delete by:
- Calling us toll free at 1-888-643-3888
- Clicking the “Submit a Request” link and filling in the information requested.
Only 1) you, 2) a person authorized by you to act on your behalf, or 3) an entity registered with the California Secretary of State and authorized by you to act on your behalf, may make a Request to Know or Request to Delete on your behalf. You may also make a Request to Know or a Request to Delete on behalf of your minor child.
Your Request to Know or Request to Delete must provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative. Given the sensitivity of your personal information that we collect and retain, we will need to verify your identity with at least 3 separate pieces of information.
Pursuant to California Civil Code section 1798.130(b), we are not required to respond to a Request to Know from the same consumer more than twice in a twelve (12) month period.
Before we can respond to a verifiable consumer request submitted by an authorized agent, we need to confirm not only that person or entity’s authority to act on behalf of a consumer and verify the identity of the authorized agent. If you are authorized to submit a request on behalf of a California resident, please contact us at PrivacyCCPARequests@boh.com or 1-888-643-3888 and provide the following information:
- To verify your authorization to request on behalf of a California resident, please attach a copy of one or more of the following to your request email:
- California Secretary of State authorization,
- written permission from the California resident, or
- power of attorney
- To verify your identity, please attach copies of the following to your request email:
- Valid Government Issued ID (not expired) AND
- a Utility Bill, Bank Statement, or similar documentation to verify your name and address
- You will also be required to verify the identity of the consumer for whom you are submitting the request.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
We will acknowledge receipt of the request within 10 business days of its receipt. We will further respond to a Request to Know or Request to Delete within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. Any response to a Request to Know will only cover the preceding 12 months. If applicable, the response will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a Request to Know or Request to Delete. For Requests to Know specific pieces of information (as opposed to categories), we will provide the responsive information in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, in a readily useable format that allows you to transmit the information to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to Requests to Know or Requests to Delete unless a request is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Additional contact options: Customer service
You're about to exit BOH.com
Links to other sites are provided as a service to you by Bank of Hawaii. These other sites are neither owned nor maintained by Bank of Hawaii. Bank of Hawaii shall not be responsible for the content and/or accuracy of any information contained in these other sites or for the personal or credit card information you provide to these sites.