Monty Richards Hawaii Island Community Award
Application Due July 5
Bank of Hawaii is now accepting nominations/applications for the 2014 Monty Richards Hawaii Island Community Award. Hawaii County nonprofit organizations are invited to submit applications by July 5. The award provides one or more grants totaling up to $25,000. Nominations may be made by the public or by the 501(c) (3) tax-exempt organizations themselves.
The award was established in 2008 in honor of Herbert "Monty" Montague Richards, Jr., a dedicated Hawaii Island community leader and former longtime board director for Bank of Hawaii.
Award selection will be based on: a) exemplary fulfillment of the organization’s mission; b) the leadership demonstrated by the organization’s executive director and board; and c) the organization’s engagement in one of the following focus areas: community development, education and human services. Additional consideration will be given to organizations that also focus on community development through financial education programs.
Award brochures/application forms are available at all Hawaii Island District branches. Nomination materials should be submitted to:
Hawaii Island Manager
Attn: Monty Richards Award
P.O. Box 305
Hilo, HI 96721
About Monty Richards
Richards served as a board director at Bank of Hawaii from 1989 to 2000. He was also a regent at the University of Hawaii for 16 years and is a board member of The Nature Conservancy of Hawaii. He is a past member of the board of Hawaii Commission on Water Resource Management.
A fifth-generation kama'aina, Richards, presently serves as the chairman and trustee of Kahua Ranch, where he has worked since 1953. Richards has been recognized as an innovator for his strides in bringing alternative renewable energy to the ranch and as being the first on Hawaii Island to use rapid rotational grazing, and to experiment with hydroponic (soil-less) farming, solar energy and wind energy. He also diversified his livestock by integrating sheep into his herd, which has resulted in one of the largest flocks in the state.
Bank of Hawaii Monty Richards Hawaii Island Community Award
In 2013 the award was divided among:
- Friends of the Future’s Hawaii Collaborative Health Initiative (HI-CHI) ($5,000),
- Hilo Medical Center ($10,000), and
- Kona Hospital Foundation ($10,000).
- The Arc of Hilo ($5,000),
- North Kohala Community Resource Center ($10,000),
- O Ka‘u Kakou ($5,000), and
- West Hawaii Community Health Center ($5,000).
- Bay Clinic, Inc. ($10,000),
- Family Support Hawaii ($10,000), and
- Kokua Christian Ministries ($5,000).
- Big Island Substance Abuse Council ($5,000),
- Habitat for Humanity West Hawaii ($5,000), and
- Hamakua Health Center, Inc. ($10,000).
In 2009, the $10,000 award was divided equally between:
- Friends of the Children’s Justice Center of East Hawaii, and
- West Hawaii Mediation Center.
In 2008, the $10,000 inaugural award was divided equally between:
- Ka‘u Hospital Foundation and
- North Kohala Community Resource Center.